Friday, April 22, 2016

Someday, I Will

The other night, after having a conversation with an old friend, I pulled out a big black binder filled with pieces I had written.

I spent more than a few minutes walking down memory lane that night, reading and rereading, reminiscing about what spurred on a poem, or how I actually used to be able to write an entire upper level college essay in French. I laughed at a few pieces, swooned at a few more, and at one point, I even shed a couple of tears.

Those pieces tell their own individual stories, of course, but put together they also tell a collective story: the tale of my writing journey that, apparently, started long before I ever thought it did.


For you see, I've been writing since I was a kid. Really. I found half-formed poems, letters, quotes, and the beginning of what I think might be an epic love story. With each piece, I noticed an improvement in writing craft and style. I noted that I moved from simple letters and words to more sophisticated fragments and phrases.

And the lesson I learned? That with each new piece, my writing improves. That's right: every single time I sit down to write and revise a piece, I'm moving forward and making progress on a dream. I might have to take one million baby steps to get there, but someday, I will.

Start working on your dream, whatever that may be. And as always, Happy Writing!

~Christina

No comments:

Post a Comment